Welcome to MHJA
The Mountaineer Hunter Jumper Association was founded in 1998 to promote riders in the tri-state area (Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio) that show on the local level. Our mission is to instill a foundation for riders to help further their knowledge and involvement in the horse community and promote a healthy approach to competition.
Junior Member $500 Scholarship
At this year’s awards banquet, the Mountaineer Hunter Jumper Association will be awarding a $500 scholarship to a junior member in grades 10-12 to assist with post-secondary education costs.
This scholarship is based on the applicant’s GPA and a personal essay. Applicants will be ranked according to their GPA and will receive a score for their essay. Essays should be approximately 1,000 words and will be judged based on clarity, expression, creativity, style and composition (grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation). The scholarship will be awarded to the applicant with the highest combined score.
We would like applicants to write on one of the following topics:
· Can you remember when you had an “Aha!” moment while riding? What did you learn? How has it affected your riding and horsemanship since?
· Winston Churchill once said, "There is something about the outside of the horse that is good for the inside of a man.” Do you agree with him? Why or Why not?
· Is there a prominent rider or horseman whom you look up to? Explain the qualities that you admire in this person.
All applications must be submitted by November 1, 2013. Applicants should mail a copy of their current high school transcript and their personal essay to:
124 Rama Road
Beaver Falls, PA 15010
2014 Awards Banquet
Save the date: December 7, 2014
below is incorrect
Correct Address - 250 Swinderman Road
Where: The Camelot Banquet Hall
260 Northgate Drive
Warrendale, PA 15086
Time: 4:00 p.m.—7:00 p.m.
More Info: www.thecamelotbanquethall.com
Banquet reservation forms can be found here, under the Forms and Payments tab. Reservations MUST be received by November 28.
This and That
Some exciting new things are happening with our organization again this year. As promised, we're working to make MHJA bigger and better than ever!
Check out the calendar page for upcoming events and sanctioned horse shows.
MHJA has been accepted in the SHOW Program. By collecting proof of purchase seals from Southern States, Legends and Triple Crown feeds, equestrians
can help the organization receive 25 cents for each POP or $10 for each ton. More information can be found on the Announcements/Newsletters
- As a member of MHJA, either competing or non-competing, you receive benefits such as a discounts to Carousel Horse Tack, a subscription to Horse Connections Magazine and discounts toward other MHJA events.
- Junior members in grades 10-12 are eligible to compete for our annual scholarship to help with post-secondary costs.
MHJA offers a Trainer Assistance Program for its professional members. The purpose of this program is to help local trainers who encounter a hardship in
which they are unable to operate their business at regular capacity. Examples of hardships would include serious injury/illness or extensive property damage. Applicants would be eligible for
a grant of $1,000. This would be a donation on behalf of the MHJA to the applying trainer and their business as a way of helping them get through their time of need.